Sunday, June 23, 2013

Moving

 My mom told me a few weeks before we moved that no matter how much you plan and prepare for a move something always goes wrong.  I'm not sure if she jinxed us or if she is just always right, because we sure had our fair share of hiccups this move.  Mainly just the fact that when I showed up to get keys to our 3 bedroom rental home it wasn't ready for us so we were homeless.  Ok, that's probably more than a hiccup.  But it's been a week now so the sting has wore off a bit and I really like our new place.  Let me back up a bit.  I flew to our local airport (107 miles away. bleh) Saturday night with Autumn.  My in-laws picked me up.  Evan started driving from Michigan to Wyoming Saturday morning.  I was suppose to get the keys from the new land lady at 10am Sunday morning.  There were still a few pieces of the previous tenant  furniture in the house, the outside paint job had been started but not finished, the carpet didn't look vacuumed even though she claimed it had just been cleaned, the fridge was icky, there was a screen broken sitting in the living area, and a few other problems.  To say the least I was disappointed.  When I tried to talk to the land lady about it she quickly got defensive and turned into a big bully.  Basically she told me, "I'm not cleaning this place.  I don't have time for that.  I hired someone to clean it and they didn't do a good job so I'm not paying them.  You don't have to live here, but you're not getting your rent money back.  And good luck finding something better.  This is a good deal and you won't be able to find anything else in this price range."  Well I could have cleaned the dirty fridge and vacuumed, but I didn't want to deal with this bully for the next two years.  (Note to self don't rent from a pregnant lady.  2 of the 3 times I've had issues with land lords they've been pregnant ladies. Never. Again.)  So I called Evan crying.  By some sort of miracle my in-laws land lady showed up in the mist of me struggling to figure out what to do.  On a whim I looked at the empty unit she had.  I asked if we could move in...in an hour when Evan showed up with the moving truck.  She was a little surprised, but without a contract or any money down she let us move into the apartment.  I love the apartment, albeit super tiny compared to our last few places, it is really nice.  
An additional hiccup was we purchased a beautiful fancy washer and dryer for our "house" we would be renting.  I already had a list of things I was going to steam clean with the fancy steam function on the dryer.  Well the apartment already had a washer/dryer so we had to return the washer/dryer...45 minutes away from Cheyenne.  Also we paid for the washer/dryer with gift cards we purchased at the grocery store so we would get more points on our credit card and 4x the fuel points at the gas station.  So we got a  Best Buy gift card for $1,650 (which we turned around and bought $1650 worth of Amazon Kindle gift cards, which can be used on anything on Amazon. Try shopping for shampoo on Amazon.  Not that fun.) 

Silver lining we are saving $400 per month on rent and the land lady is super sweet.  Also there is a fenced in grass area for Autumn to play around in and I don't have to mow it;)


In Michigan, we had a Relief Society activity about organization.  It got me motivated, especially since I was in the middle of packing all my worldly possessions.  I finally got rid of this beauty.  My great-grandpa's second wife, Iris, got this to me.  I never met her, but felt like I should keep this.  Never found the right occasion to wear it, so I got rid of it, but had to capture the beauty of it first.

 Last outing with our buddies the Anderson's before parting ways.  I'm still not sure why they didn't follow us to Wyoming.  
 All the Traditional Rotating and Transitional year interns were invited to be a part of the St. Mary Mercy graduation ceremony. This was after the painfully boring graduation ceremony I sat threw to support my husband even though he wasn't "graduated".  Still bitter about that.  Probably the worst graduation ceremony I have ever been too. UG!  Evan and the other interns and their program director.  (Front row: Dr. Aaron Berg, Dr. William G. Anderson II, Dr. Alex Lund Back row: Dr. Evan Norby, Dr. Haas Berri, Dr. Darren Subnaik)
 Me and the other lone intern wife.  It is so funny how close you can get to someone when you're in the same boat.   
 My hunky husband before unloading the truck at the new place.  I didn't get any loading up pictures...That part is a little more hectic.  I did want to get a picture of the full truck though.  Evan did a great job of packing that thing just right so that things wouldn't slide around and so that everything would fit inside.  Also a shout out to Jake for the idea of putting some boxes down underneath the mattress.  Evan was so impressed and I think he told me about it at least 4 times.  Without that I'm not sure everything would have fit.
Easiest unload we've ever had.  Since the place we are living in is a 4-plex the parking is real close.  So pumped about that.  I can drive my car up to the steps to unload groceries (almost as good as a garage;)  
I'm having fun pinteresting up my apartment with space-saving ideas.  Hopefully they'll be picture ready soon.  It has been quite the challenge fitting all my junk into this place.  Not sure why I get so attached to my junk....refer to the first photo.  I think I have moved that beauty with me close to a dozen times over the last 15 years.

5 comments:

  1. ok so now i'm dying to know what w/d you bought? it sounds like the kind we just bought - we got the lg high efficiency front load set with steam cleaning.... and yes all that is more than a hiccup and sounds awful :( i'm so sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Amber. I am laughing and crying with you. Good for you for leaving the bully landlord lady. So glad you found a different place so quickly. What a crazy moving day that must have been. As for Amazon gift card money... I hope you have Prime membership!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should've peed on the floor as you left BYU style. Sorry you're in such a small place...finding places for all that junk you know you'll never need or use but still can't part with is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you! You will save lots of money not having to buy equipment to take care of the yard...you can spend it on more closet organizers and space savers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I had to leave a comment. Since we're about 2 weeks behind you guys in the whole move/unpacking process, I so understand what you're going through. Sorry you had such a rough go this time around! But you're awfully funny describing it! Good luck with your new home (and Evan's new job!). Keep updating!!

    ReplyDelete