Sunday, February 7, 2010

Some things just never change

Evan and I volunteered to chaperon a youth stake dance at the end of January. We patrolled the building for a while to make sure everyone stayed safe. Then we watched the front and took money (yeah they charge now at stake dances, what's with that?) and checked dance cards.
Then we finally got to dance the night away. The youth still dance (or not dance) the same way as when I was a youth. The girls all stand in a circle and bop around and the boys sit on the edge of the stage NOT asking the girls to dance. Not surprisingly, even though the DJ got paid he was still as lame as the DJs when I went to dances. Although he did play songs from my home girls Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus he also played Cotton-eye Joe and "I Feel Like a Woman," by Shaina Twain. The kids dance to line dances and got all sweaty and then of course the DJ plays a slow song right after. Who wants to get close to someone right after working up a hearty sweat? Then (just like when I was young) the DJ plays another slow song. Do you keep dances with the same guy for both songs? What do you do when you can't find your girlfriends' huddle? There wasn't even a punch bowl to hide next to, even though the youth had to pay for the dance. I guess somethings never change
Evan and I had a great time, but then again we only had to impress each other.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that's awesome! Ah, stake dances. I'm so glad to be away from those -- well, away from high school ones anyway. ;o) You two make a handsome couple, but I'm sure you already knew that. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still laughing! How fun is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some things never change--you're right! Love this post it totally brought back memories for me. Your "100th day" celebration was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny Amber. (yup I'm a blog stalker.. :) I hated stake dances and it's a good thing I never had to pay because I never would have gone! Good for you guys chaperoning. I think maybe I would have more fun at one now too!

    ReplyDelete