It has been two week since I found out I am having twins, and naturally that is all I can think about. The next day I checked out about 10 books on twins from the library...they all say the same things. Here is a recap: You don't need to buy two of everything, prepare yourself for bed rest, awkward things people say to you when you have twins (apparently everyone says, "looks like you have your hands full"-yup that is going to get really old really fast), you're going to have a c-section, and lastly prepare for the NICU. None of those things seem fun at all. I've been freaking out. I can handle the odd/rude comments, but who wants to travel to the NICU (50 minutes away) daily when they have a toddler they also want to see and won't be able to drive myself because apparently I've just had surgery. AND I just found out if for any reason the babies are born before 37 weeks they will automatically have to go to the NICU...um sounds like a dumb rule to me. I've decided I'm OK with bed rest. Most of my "summer" plans are occurring before June even begins, I'd much rather have the babies inside of me as long as possible. But in case bed rest is required I've been quite busy completing random tasks that have been on the "TO DO" list for forever now.
We plan on the babies sleeping in our room for at least a couple months....but there is no room for them, since it is the place where all the crap goes that I don't know where to put.
see how tiny it is.
I painted these frames back in August and they've been sitting on the floor in my room ever since...My mom helped me come up with a plan on how to hang them back in February, and I can say that they are finally up on the wall.
I thought after medical school the piles of papers would disappear, but we have an infestation of papers, I think they breed in our house. I made Evan go through them a couple weeks ago. The pile is now smaller, however he checked his mailbox at work the other day and the pile is growing again!
I went threw Autumn's "Too Big" box of clothes to get ready for summer. Oh wishful thinking-it snowed this morning. And I had Autumn try on MY bunnies slippers from when I was a kid.
I also finally made Autumn's Easter skirt. It didn't take very long at all, especially since Evan was home to watch Autumn. I found this lace dress at Goodwill and "re purposed" it into two skirts.
Also Autumn is awesome at puzzles. She likes to do the "corrrrners" first.
Full skirt I made for my niece....
Modified bubble skirt I made for Autumn....the back of the skirt is totally missing a chunk but I didn't feel like cutting more fabric so Autumn will just have to "walk" fast as my mom would say to my sisters and I when she was worried about our hem lines.
Autumn was playing in the medicine cabinet on Friday night while I got ready for a MOMs (Moms of Multiples) meeting. I joined a club. It was really fun to hang out with people I wouldn't normally have reason to hangout with. There were 5 other moms at the "meeting". All of them had their twins first. They told me I was doing things backwards! I feel like it too, twins would be so much easier if I didn't already have another child to consider.
The next day after washing her hands she did the same thing....put vasaline on her nose then a band-aid, and one on her pinger too.
| 17 weeks |
You can't really tell by the picture, but Autumn's room is MUCH bigger than our room. Anyhow I'm getting bigger. I wore this shirt a lot last summer...I wore it today since I'm pretty sure it won't fit me..next week. I'm also wearing a "belly band" over my already unbuttoned jeans. I've broken out the maternity pants and wore those the other night too. SO much more comfortable than regular jeans. Also I got a hair cut. It finally grew out enough to fix the chop job the girl did 18 months ago-I was seriously missing a chunk of hair in one place...one of the reasons I never wore it down.
My mother-in-law is having a garage sale, so I've been cleaning out closets etc. to get rid of stuff...I also spent numerous hours making all these bows to sell at the garage sale. I spent too much money the other day at Hobby Lobby, and am attempting to recoup the cost ;) See all very frivolous things, but I feel much better getting them done. Especially because as each day passes I feel more and more pregnant. I'm already to the point where I can't eat very big meals and I feel like my body is already telling me to slow down and rest. Also, I have ligament stretching pain and tightness in my belly (not contractions, it just feels really heavy and uncomfortable). I'm also super itchy (a mom at the mom's meeting told me to put cooking oil on...didn't work) and I feel the babies moving around at night when I'm still. In fact I'm convinced I felt baby B while we were at Disney World. I see the midwife again next week, and it looks like my Evan may be able to come with me. Hopefully she'll be able to calm my anxiety, because my attempt at "thinking positive" isn't working ;) some non-horror stories about twin births would be nice too;)
HELP SHE IS GOING CRAZY - Evan
You are awesome, Twins will be so fun and I can't wait to hear all about your new adventures! When things get overwhelming just look at cute pictures of baby twins in costumes. Thing 1 and thing 2. Are you finding out the genders? let me know if you need me to "hunt" for things ;)
ReplyDeleteA doctor once told me "You know it's not the end of the world if you have to have a c-section." I really didn't like it at the time, but he was right. Now I have had 2, with one baby in the NICU, and well it wasn't the end of the world, now I have 3 amazing kids. I think the keys is to focus on that, the 2 wonderful bundles of joy the Heavenly Father is willing to have joining your family, even if the way they get here is not the "ideal birth story." You will be a great mom of twins, I think they are only sent to amazing people.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to say that I can't help you with tips on life with multiples or experiences in the NICU. But, I have had experience with a C-section and it was fine. You will get two round-headed little cuties and then get some beauty rest while you recover. The best part is when they grow up and ask you how they came out of your tummy, you can tell them the doctor made a little cut in your belly and pulled them out and you won't even have to use the "V word"! :)
ReplyDeleteAlice's old nursery teacher had twins and she carried them to 41 weeks--this is not a horror story--it's an encouragement story--twins can and do stay in utero past 37 weeks. And that NICU stuff is a bunch of rubbish. I may just not speak to you for a few weeks--still brings up too many angry emotions.
ReplyDeleteNot sure if this helps, but as you know I am a twin. My mom didn't go on bed rest. She had us naturally and we didn't stay in the NICU. We came home three days later. So, my point is maybe things will go just fine. Keep yourself healthy and enjoy the ride!!:)
ReplyDelete