Friday, September 12, 2014

A whole new ball game

We survived the first week.  I knew twins would be a lot of work but let me tell you it is a whole new ball game.  When people said, "oh, you'll never sleep" I didn't realize they were being literal!  I get about 2 hours of sleep at night. And by two hours I mean 45 minutes here, 30 minutes there and 15 minutes when I accidentally fall asleep while feeding them.  Each night we've tried out a different strategy.  I attempted to tandem feed, feeding one then waking the other to feed, waiting only until they woke to feed, etc.  None seemed to be working.  I pumped one day so that Evan could feed one and I could breast feed the other.  I've  liked that method, except that Evan has a job where he can't take naps during the day.  So... I've chosen to exclusively pump for the babes.  I couldn't get the hang of tandem feeding so meal time was lasting all night.  I'm nervous that I won't get as much milk as my babies need, but I'm determined to make this work.  Albertson's grocery store has oatmeal on sale so I bought a ton and I'll just eat that every meal if I have to to improve milk supply!
I know every baby has a different personality, but it is really fun to see two babies personalities at the same time.  Maverick was really fussy initially, so it is a good thing he sleeps a lot, because whenever he was awake he was crying.  He has been better the last day or two.  I think he was just cranky about the little procedure he had in the hospital.  Violet on the other hand is the most content baby ever.  If she is hungry she whines a little, no crying, just little whimpers and since Maverick cries so loudly, he was stealing all the attention. 
 Autumn loves all the attention she is getting from Grandma Pattie, but loves the babies too.  So far not much jealousy.  And it appears that Autumn has gained 50 pounds since the twins arrived...she is so much heavier than those little peanuts.
                                    
Friday the day we were discharged from the hospital they met uncle Cameron.


Autumn and grandma playing with Autumn's new paper doll.
I was undressing the babes to eat so they'd wake up...Autumn felt the need to take her shirt off too.
More playing...she seems to confiscate all the Twins' things.
babies are so unphotogenic
We took a walk Sunday afternoon.  One of the neighbors saw us and was relieved I was OK.  Apparently they heard the commotion from the morning Maverick was born at home and thought someone was beating me!  I was slightly embarassed.

Autumn attempting to ride in the stroller

Maverick
Feeding Maverick,  We also ventured out that day to the pediatrician's office





We did a lot of this, this week.  Late night feedings.
 What the twins usually do.
 Autumn got on the floor and stated singing to her sister.
 My mom and Violet after she pooped all over my mom.
 First bath  (finally) and Violet's typical face.

 Maverick and his typical face!

 Autumn has taken an interest in this old broken phone of mine.  One day she needed to change her clothes so she would have bigger pockets to accommodate the phone.

 Violet
Life has gotten a whole lot more complicated this past week, but I have much to be thankful for.  A friend came and picked Autumn up two mornings this week, so my mom could help feed the babies and I could sleep, This sleep thing is tricky.  I also can move around a whole lot more now that I'm not so insanely pregnant.  I can also fit into my tennis shoes now, which is great since it snowed last night. YIKES!  I also am figuring out how/when to pump and feed the babes still.  Lots of people from church are standing by waiting to help us and I'm not shy at accepting their help.  We got newborn photos and family portraits taken this week, and I can't wait to see them!  Life will never be the same, and I wouldn't want it any other way (too sappy?  I don't care)

10 comments:

  1. How you are even blogging is beyond me, but I'm glad to see an update! :) (I think a whole month went by before I blogged, and I had just one new baby, not two!) You are amazing. All 3 of your kids adorable! :) good luck with the sleep thing.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! Love the update and I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking, "Gosh, why is Amber being so lazy and not updating her blog more? She usually updates at least once a week." Five more weeks. If you can make it to six weeks, you will not die. Also, I have a friend who's been exclusively pumping for about 5 months now. It's been working ok for her. Maybe once the babies are a little older/eat faster you can get back to straight up nursing BUT a measure of a good mother is not her feeding style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, have been checking every day for an update! I am impressed with all you are doing. I am trying to get Charlie to understand there are 2 babies! but we love the pics of Autumn feeding them. She looks do grown up! love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed that you are finding the time to blog! Love reading the updates though. I am so glad Autumn is adapting well!! I talked to a lady in my ward today who has twins and she said that she did everything possible to keep them on the same schedule. She would pump so she could bottle feed them at the exact same time during the night. And if one baby falls asleep she would make the other sleep too and wake them up at the same time. She said she would answer any questions that you had! keep the updates coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say all babies look alike, but I've never seen 2 babies look more different from each other than these 2. I can't believe they're twins. They are beautiful. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats they are so cute!
    The Bradleys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maverick backhanding violet.... Typical big brother behavior from a Norby... Not really but that's an awesome capture. Autumn is so dang hilarious. It makes me smile all the Ariel stuff she's wearing

    ReplyDelete