I had a patient say to me the other day, "your job seems boring, do you like it?" That questions caught me off guard and with my boss 15 feet away I said the first thing that came to my mind, "yes." Then I went on to explain that although it may seem boring, it is a fairly easy job and I get to chit chat with all kinds of different people, some old, some young, some whiny, some grateful all kinds of colorful people. Which lead me to think of all the people I get or HAVE to work with throughout the day.
Last week I had an awful experience with an active young retiree. It was the patient's last visit so I wanted to make sure he knew exactly how to do his exercises so he could continue to do them correctly at home so I spent more time with him then I usually would have done. Apparently I said or did something that offended him, because before he left he approached my boss, who was in the middle of the open facility with other patients and coworkers around, and pointed directly at me and said, "she is condescending. She does not know how to talk to adults and be respectful." I was flabbergasted. My jaw dropped to the floor. My heart sank into my stomach. Was he really talking about me? I look toward my coworkers and give a look with my eyes, he's joking right? Then he continues to belittle me in front of everyone in the room. I swallow the lump in my throat and sincerely and honestly apologized, not knowing what I did but obviously offended him, because he had such strong feelings about my behavior.
I managed to keep it together until after he left, but not much longer. I headed to the restroom and cried the ugly cry. The I hope no one can hear me- snorting- snotty-puffy eye cry. I emerge praying I can keep my emotions inside instead of rolling down my checks, but once my coworker sees me and gives me a hug its all over once again. She assures me she can handle the patients until I can get it together. So I hide out in the laundry room for a while, until my boss discovers me. Oh no is she mad? Will I get written up? Will she make me write an apology letter? No none of these things. She assures me that she has faith in my skills and that she is not upset, "these things happen" she says. Even though I am relieved at her response I still cry one more time in her office, before I finally pull it together for the remainder of the day (until I tell Evan after work and once more when I recount the events for my mom on the phone that night).
Then again there are great days like today when a sweet, skinny, old lady from New York with a thick accent thank you for all the wonderful work I'm doing for her. She starts to give me an analysis of "kids these days" and let's me know that girls in high school and the way they dress, "with ther' boobEEs hangin' out, no wonder boys are so horny!" (if you didn't laugh try saying it in a New York accent).
I'm sorry you had that old man ruin your day. But like you said, other people make your days better! I had to laugh at the NY woman's comment--it doesn't surprise me in the slightest!!
ReplyDeleteThat stinks. But who cares what a grumpy man thinks, I think you are awesome and that is all that matters. I love reading your blog, it makes me want to hang out with my husband more and cherish the little time we have together. It sounds like you guys are really happy.
ReplyDeleteAw, I'm sorry you had a bad day at work. It helps when your boss already knows you are wonderful and you have a good hubby to come home, too. Plus, that NY lady was pretty dang funny!
ReplyDeleteFRIEND! That story is very sad. People are completely insensitive, though and do not think about the consequences of their words. I am convinced that these kinds of experiences make us more sensitive to others, in an unfair kind of way. But good job on the pedi. 'Cause now I want one.
ReplyDeleteWhat a jerk! Want to go egg his house? My sweet Amber, I have been missing you lately. How we would love to hang out with you and Evan. I am so jealous of your little nieces and nephews. I want you to come to my kids b-day parties. I think you would love Lauren, well all of them, but Lauren reminds me so much of you and Kristi that I can hardly stand it sometimes. Of course it's a great thing, but it would be better if she knew you! How proud of you I am! I can't wait to see you again, someday SOON!
ReplyDeleteHoly Cow! Old men can be so mean, and he probably just didn't hear what you were actually saying. Someday you will just laugh about it but until then you have my permission to be upset! We love you Amber!
ReplyDeleteI totally know the situation. I have worked in healthcare for 6 years, and you just run into people like that. Some people like to be grumpy, they like to make people upset, and it's usually because they are having a rough time with life in general. Older adults often come off that way because they might stress about losing their independence and it's hard to see a younger adult running around and having a good time. The thing I've learned is to NEVER take it personally... what somebody else says, especially when they are rude, has no reflection on who you are as a person (they are just being rude). I had a similar experience once, and all you have to do is put a smile on your face and say sorry (even though it is really their issues that caused it to begin with)... its like they say, "kill them with kindness." I'm sorry that happened to you; I'm sure you are an awesome tech and patients are lucky to work with such a great person :)
ReplyDelete