Thursday, November 1, 2012

1st Halloween

Last Saturday I took Autumn to the library for a Halloween program.  She enjoyed watching all the older kids and sat through all the stories and songs.

She didn't love the dragon hood
Then that night we went to our ward's Trunk-or-Treat.  It reminded me of when I was little.  Not the actually activity rather the events leading up to the activity.  I remember as a kid my mom taking what seemed like hours getting us all ready, us kids whining, and a hurried rush out the door (then us getting annoyed at my mom for being the last one out of the house.  And a sweet reminder that if we turned off the lights in the house then she wouldn't be the last one out).  So my night started as Autumn woke up from her nap.  She played while I blow dried my hair and I put my make-up on.  I tried to put my costume together by myself because Evan was at the gym.  It is really tough to safety pin things around your neck (it wouldn't fit over my head when I pinned it before I put it on).  Evan thought the activity started 1.5 hours later than it actually did.  So when he showed up 5 minutes after I wanted to leave I was a little irritated.  Mostly because I wasn't even ready, because I needed his help!  Anyhow, Evan was a good sport and put his "costume" on.  While I was painting tattoos on Evan's forearms, he was drinking a protein shake.  Then he spilled his drink ALL OVER.  The kind of spill that I'm sure I will find traces of for weeks, under the stove, on the inside of the cupboards, on the side of the fridge, etc.  It also fell in the paint. So we threw the paint in the garbage and mopped up the spill.  I started painting his tattoo again only to turn around and find that my sweet Autumn had gotten the black paint out of the trash.  Luckily I caught her before she ate any of the paint.  I cleaned up the paint and finished Evan's tattoos.  Then Evan reminded me he didn't have a pipe (A pipe? A tattoo?  What did he dress up as?).  I thought quick on my feet.  I grabbed a pencil and rummaged through my makeup drawer for something suitable to attach to the pencil.  I used my EOS lip balm lid and spray painted it all brown.  I held it out the car window so Evan wouldn't get too high while it was in his mouth.  

We dressed up as Popeye, his adopted son Sweet Pea, and his girl friend Olive Oly.


Evan wanted a picture with Batman saying,
"cuz I'm Batman" and he said it.
THEN Real Halloween came along.  Evan wanted to take Autumn out Trick-or-Treating.  So we did.  I guess we went out too late (7 PM)  because there were no other trick-or-treaters.  And it was SUPER cold, dare I say freezing and not be exaggerating?


Apparently the flashing light of the self timer caught Autumn's attention.


In high school a friend of mine use to call me Olive Oly, because I was tall, lanky, and frankly flat chested.  Since then I thought it would be really fun to dress up as her and make my future husband and our first kiddo dress up as Popeye and Sweet Pea.  I even bought Evan's hat on clearance after Halloween last year ($3) and Autumn's sleep sack with a coupon at JCPenny's before she was born for $1.  (I only spent 25 cents on my costume for the white felt) I wasn't sure if Evan would go for it so I didn't ask him until fairly close to Halloween, thus I didn't put forth much effort on his costume (which I now regret).  When I asked Evan if he would dress up with us he said, "yeah, whatever you want dear."  Why I doubted him I'm not sure.


We only went to four houses since it was so cold, but by house 4 she got the hang of it!
Evan was teaching Autumn how to sort her candy.


Things Autumn learned her first Halloween
1. Take candy out of stranger's candy bowl
2. Line up said candy
3. Put in mouth

2 comments:

  1. You are so clever with the pipe. I think your costumes turned out super cute. Alice learned the same thing. Rex keeps leaving his candy within baby reach so i keep finding half eaten candies in wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the lucky charms boxes above your cupboards! What a cute idea, for your costumes!

    ReplyDelete