My older sister always teases me because my birthday lasts forever. She'd complain that I would get a whole week as a birth"day". I never understood where she got that from, until this year...Although I would prefer one grad explosion of a birthday day it was kinda nice to drag things out this year. Birthday just aren't the same when you're older. I just thought it was because adults didn't like being "old". Lets face it I'm not old. I think they are mostly lame because your mom isn't there to wake you up in the morning (camera ready if you're Kenz) make you breakfast, new school clothes ready, school friends wishing you a "happy birthday", mom makes your favorite dinner and dessert, cards from aunts and uncles (really? Just cuz I'm an adult do the birthday stickers from Aunt Carrie have to stop?). Anyhow this is how my birthday week went.
WEDNESDAY:Actual birthday
I took Evan to work so I could have the car. Autumn took a super long nap. We wondered around Target for 2 hours. I finally spent my Christmas money and bought myself a new dress and pair of shoes. Then we raced home to get ready to go to the temple (on your birthday really?-It was one of those we need to go to the temple. NOW. type of situations, and it just happened to be my birthday oh well) I grabbed pizza after dropping Autumn off at a friend's house and we went to the world's smallest temple (Ok I made that part up but it really is tiny,smaller than the stake center next door). We came home and video chatted with some of the family. Then Autumn woke up because she was hungry so she helped me open up a present from my parents and one from Evan. No cake No singing.
THURSDAY: I got a present in the mail from Evan. He even wrapped it!Bowling shoes. We were joking around a few weeks ago saying how it would be much more economical if we owned bowling shoes, so we wouldn't have to pay to rent shoes every time we went bowling. (I think the last time we went bowling was over two years ago and we didn't even pay for it. My dad did.) So I foresee some bowling dates in our future. Hopefully I won't get beat up for my sweet kicks.
FRIDAY: more mail. My parents sent me a pair of Jeans! I opened them as I was dipping chocolates for my birthday party.
SATURDAY: Birthday Party. Pet peeve (I have so many I should write a book) I hate when people take a bunch of pictures of food at parties. Especially on Facebook. They'll have an album called, "Liddy's baby shower" and 95% of the pictures will be the food table, 4% of the pictures will be the decorations not on the food table and the other 1% would be a picture of the host of the shower, most of the time leaving out a picture of the person the shower was supposedly for. Well after this party I start to see why. I wanted to make my favorite desserts, well they were all SUPER time consuming and they look pretty so I took pictures of them. Not in a "look how great I am" way, but in a "I want to remember what we had at my party" way. But I will brag about the Barbie. I got a brand new Barbie for $2.50 from Toys R Us because I had a coupon. Boo YAY
| Chocolate Carmel Pretzels and homemade Butterfingers |
| Oreo Truffles, Frosted Animal cookie Truffles, Brownies |
So the theme of the party was Barbie and Ken. I was reading in a magazine that Ken's birthday was March 13. I thought to myself, "how have I gone almost 26 years and not known I shared a birthday with Ken! We should have a party." So we did. I asked the guests to dress up as Barbie and Ken. Some did some didn't.
| Evan posing in the "Barbie Box" |
| I won't be going blonde anytime soon! |
| Winners of the costume contest. I wish I had a full body shot. Barbie had some sweet metallic tights and Ken had some sweeter neon yellow socks. |
| It took my over an hour to hang the crate paper. I made a blueberry/spinach/banana smoothie to even out all the sweets. There was also a fruit platter (with dipping chocolate). |
SUNDAY: Since I was super busy ALL day getting ready for my party I forgot to get the mail. So on Sunday after church we discovered yet another present for me in the mail box. A sun hat. Too bad it is snowing. Maybe one day it will be sunny again. Today is Monday who knows what the mail man will bring...Maybe my birth"day" really will last a whole week.
I love it! I always have a birthweek and it really is the greatest. Your party has made me want to have a themed couples party for my bday next month - thanks for the great idea :) (Morgan's not as pleased with this idea, but we live far enough away that I don't think he'll try to beat you up lol)
ReplyDeleteMaybe 2 because I still haven't sent your gift...or bought it. I can only think of fun things to get Autumn. Kids are easier to shop for.
ReplyDeleteThose Ken and Barbie pictures are awesome!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! You shouldn't down play your food awesomeness, and your ability to throw an amazing party! -I have to take those cheesy morning pictures of my kids or they wouldn't know it was their birthday ;) Happy Birthday Amber!!!
ReplyDelete