Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pintrosity!

Oh Pinterest!  Our love/hate relationship continues.  However it really isn't your fault Pinterest, its the people that use you or rather abuse you.  I know I've ranted about this before, but I have a feeling it won't be the last time either.
I'm done trying recipes from Pinterest after my cauliflower massacre.  Just because another pinner writes, "ooh so yummy" or "I made this last night it is soo awesome"  does NOT mean it tastes good.  We all know  people who use Pinterest don't know how to erase the captions when they haphazardly click "repin."  Also who pins a recipe after they have tried it?  So how do you know it is "the best"?  So not only will I not be trying any more recipes, I will no longer be listening to the mommy bloggers and there "I'll be so glad I pinned this one day" toddler activities.
50 Toddler Activities
Photo credit
We've all seen "pins" like the one above, but let me spare you.  It is full of stupid ideas.  Well, at least they don't work with Autumn.  "Fill an empty wipes container with fabric scraps and let the child pull them all out."  Great idea in theory, but they don't pull out the same way wipes do, they aren't wet, and they certainly don't taste like alcohol, so Autumn isn't buying it.  Another popular suggestion is letting a child play with beans, pasta, or rice.  They will have "hours" of fun dumping out and putting them back in the container.  Sure don't get me wrong Autumn loves to dump out her bin of pasta, but it only takes about 4.5 seconds then she walks away.  And then there is what happened last week.  The pudding fiasco.
It has been suggested that you let toddlers "finger paint" with yogurt or pudding.  I don't have a high chair so I thought the bathtub would prove to be a great place to contain the mess.  I made some pudding and let it sit. I scrubbed down the tub. Stripped Autumn down and let her have at it.  She whined because she didn't want to get her hands dirty.  They I gave her the bowl and she had a good 2 minutes of fun stabbing the pudding with a spoon.  Then she tried to stand up.  FYI pudding in a bathtub is very slippery.  It was pretty much all over after that.  The fun that is.  I grabbed the camera for a couple pictures before taking her out of the tub. (which proved to be quite a dilemma.  She was climbing over the side of the tub all pudding-ee and crying, while I was attempting to wash her down.  Which proved to be harder than I thought since the tub was all messy she just kept getting more messy.  It was like the fish and the loafs of bread.  The more I hosed down the two of them the messier it became.  I finally grabbed a grubby towel and let her sit on my lap for a few minutes, while I cleaned out the tub.  She finally calmed down once I convinced her to put the pudding spoon in her mouth.)
The point of these toddler activities (in my opinion  is to give the mom something to do, to kill time rather.  Well kill time it did.  After making the pudding, cleaning the tub twice and bathing and soothing a crying Autumn, we killed about an hour.  So perhaps the activity fulfilled its need, but we won't be trying it again anytime soon.)
On a positive note, she now keeps hair clips in!

So from now on I will wait until my friends try things out and then they can let me know if it is worth my time.  Like the following:
Kitchen Tip - Shredded Meat In Kitchen-Aid
photo source
I saw this on Pinterest several times and didn't try it until my sister suggested it (because she had actually  tried it.)  It is "AHHHMazing."  I often buy whole fryer chickens, because it is cheaper than chicken breasts, then shred the chicken for lots of recipes I use (chicken enchiladas, BBQ chicken sandwiches, chicken pesto with pasta, gun powder chicken, chicken broccoli casserole, chicken pizza, to name a few) .  I hated shredding chicken until I started using my Kitchen Aid.  It works best when the meat is warm, but it doesn't have to be.  Even with the time it takes to clean the Kitchen Aid it is still faster to use this method than the old two fork method I use to use.

When my mom was visiting she made Oreo truffles, from Pinterest.  They were also "Ahhhmazing."  So I made a double batch and took some to our neighbors for Valentines day.  Autumn was even entertained for awhile when helping me make them.

So my friends, when you try a great "Pin" let me know.  Or I'll just stick to using Pinterest for a good laugh.
Source

P.S Pinterest is also lame, because of its search function.  However I just discovered you can create "secret" boards.  Sweet!  Now you won't know what I'm making you for Christmas.

7 comments:

  1. I 2nd the nasty tasting food on pinterest. The pictures make the food look great, but almost every recipe I have tried is not good. ALTHOUGH I have found a few things I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rex has informed me that the last 3 activities are found on Pinterest are, and I quote, "Lame Mom." So he and Alice go play cars while I do whatever they were supposed to do. I went to all the effort of buying/making the crap, someone's going to enjoy it. And I do. Thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! I'm sorry you ended up having more time killed by cleaning than playing. The pudding covered Autumn pic is pretty cute! Thanks for the tip about the chicken. I wondered if that worked. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the good pins! I have used a mixer to shred chicken - it really works well. I'll have to make those oreo truffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amber. Yes,I was looking at your blog. It's fun to see you as a wife and mother. I remember you as a little girl--the most beautiful girl ever for the record. Your daughter has taken after you. She is beautiful-even when messy!

    It's also fun to see your parents. They haven't changed a bit!

    You asked about Makai's rash-thanks. That's awesome your husband just graduated. congrats to all of you!

    Makai doesn't seem to itch at his rash--I take that back, he itches if he see's it. But if he has clothes on he doesn't seem to itch. When it started on his butt it didn't look as blotchy as it does now. He seems to have more spots at night and in the morning he almost looks clear. Every morning I'll think he looks great and by the end of the day he's not looking so good again. It does seem to be aggrieved by heat as if he watches a movie under a blanket he'll break out as well. I'd love to get your husbands insight. Thanks for showing him the pics and caring. That's very kind of you. Perhaps my worry was the joint pain as he started limping about a week ago. I assume it is related to the rash. Anyway, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amber! Thanks for your nice, nice note. We are fine! I got bored blogging last year (and frankly was too sick to think about it anyway) when I got pregnant with baby #2. Our little girl is due in 4 weeks.

    I have another blog I update more regularly--www.themrswrites.blogspot.com. But the place I post most frequently is Instagram--@kalieraeann.

    Autumn is growing up! I love your blog...it is honest and honestly funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I didn't realize I was logged in as my husband! Ha! This is kalie.

    ReplyDelete