Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Autumn is explosive and I hate hiking

While in Washington we went to my cousin's son's ( I would have just said first cousin once removed, but then no one would know what I was talking about) t-ball game.  Autumn got hungry so I took her to the car to breast feed her.  Then I heard a rumble so I quickly lifted up her brand new dress so it wouldn't get messy.  "Fhew" I thought "that was a close one."  Then I felt something warm on my stomach.  Autumn's mess not only went down my pants, but slipped across my hip and onto the bucket seat in my mom's car.  It took five paper towels to absorb the mess.  I didn't have my diaper bag with me so I took Autumn's dress off of her and wrapped her in a blanket (it was quite chilly) and trudged to the field where the rest of my family was watching the T-ball game.  With my mom and Evan's help we cleaned Autumn up.  Autumn was getting goosebumps so we tried to work quickly and as a result she ended up with this lovely outfit.
We also went for a hike while hanging out with my parents.  I hate hiking.  Don't get me wrong I had lovely company, but as we hiked back to the car I contemplated why it is that I don't like to hike-and it isn't because I'm a sissy.
TOP four reasons I hate hiking
1.  I don't appreciate nature.  This is an unfortunate truth I realized after taking a personality test for a class in college.  I would much rather take a walk around my neighborhood or a stroll through Disneyland.
2.  The drive to the trail head.  OK so maybe I am a sissy, but it seems that whenever I go hiking I have to drive on some crazy windy road to get to the trail head.  I get nauseated doing about anything with motion.  In fact my family teases me and says I get sick from walking-not entirely true, but kinda.
3. People telling me "you can do it".  When I start complaining while hiking I often hear this phrase.  I know I "can do it." It is a matter if I want to or not and I just like to complain so just let me!
4. I'm always lied to.  For example when I was 9 or so we went on hike while on a family reunion.  I was told the hike would be two miles.  I confirmed several times one mile there and one mile back, right? Well when we hit the one mile mark the family decided to continue on.  Since I was only 9 I couldn't walk back to the car and I was stuck hiking longer than I had planned.  Another common lie is being told there would be a cool waterfall.  I've been told this on multiple occasions.  I have yet to see a waterfall (except at Disneyland of course.) Furthermore I am often told "this is an easy hike."  On one occasion of hearing this lie I obliged and went on the hike only to find out my fellow hikers had brought gear with them.  I was not wearing the proper shoes or clothes and I didn't bring any water.  In my mind an easy hike is more of a stroll and does not require any gear.  On this particular hike I was again promised a waterfall (didn't see one) and that the course was flat.  Although it was an easy hike it was NOT flat.  There were some definite elevation changes.
Before the hike
Notice how I am lower than Evan is in this picture.  See NOT flat
Pretty, but no waterfall.
In conclusion, if you would like to go hiking with me I will need a very detailed plan of what the trail looks like, how long it is, and the route to get to said trail before I decide to go or not.  Also Autumn pooped on me yesterday while she was in the Baby Bjorn and I was wearing shorts this time.

4 comments:

  1. DO NOT go hiking with Patrick. He won't lie to you, he just won't convert "Patrick's hiking time" with the time it would take anyone else. We went hiking in Idaho, whilst there for his graduation, and he said HE does the hike in about 2 hrs, round trip. Well we had older folks and youngster folks- that made for taking breaks about every 15 minutes. I think we finished after like 5 hrs or so. BUT there was a really cool cave WITH a waterfall. Like I said, he won't lie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I also dislike hiking. You spend the whole time looking at your feet and not at nature. Lame. I can look at my feet at home.
    2. Autumn is disgusting.
    3. Cloth diapers don't leak. The pee gets out, but Alice has never poop exploded out of a cloth diaper--I've heard the same thing from other cloth diapering moms. Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold up. lets not forget sister
      http://thebakerboysbyheather.blogspot.com/2011/06/62311-cloth-diapers.html

      Delete
  3. But look how green it is! It was a beautiful hike, really easy and " flat" in hiking-speak means the elevation at the beginning and end are the same.

    ReplyDelete