Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I am a fair cook

Last week I had an experience that made me think, "I should buy a fire extinguisher."  Not a great feeling to have in the moment of billowing smoke, do I have an extinguisher, if I do have it where would it be?  It was a hot day so I didn't want to stand over the stove to cook, so I put the bacon for our B.L.Ts in the oven and went outside and played with Autumn-again it was hot so I didn't want to stay inside while the oven was on.  We headed to the back yard.  Then much to my amazement I could smell bacon wafting out the back windows of my apartment.  I thought, wow that cooked fast I better go get it.  As I approached the front of the house I heard a beeping noise coming from inside my apartment, I thought, hmm I don't remember setting an alarm.  As I got into my apartment I realized that the beeping was NOT an alarm but the oven pleading for me to turn it off because it was filling up with smoke.  I obliged, I opened the oven and smoke filled my vision.  After realizing I didn't know where a fire extinguisher was I went to my in-laws and asked if they had one, at the same time realizing it was probably a grease fire and I should use baking soda instead.  My father-in-law came back to my place (without a fire extinguisher because apparently they store theirs in a storage unit) and he grabbed the charred cookie sheet and took it to safety out front.  We grabbed some fans in an attempt to push the smoke out the front door and windows (there was no actual fire).  When I got over to my in-laws to escape the heat and smoke of our apartment Evan's brother commented, "Dad do we have the windows open?"  I said, "sorry, do I smell like a camp fire?"  He grasped back, "No, much worse.  You smell like a dead animal like a turkey or something."  Gross!  We had Subway for dinner and a week later my house still smells funky.  Not like a dead animal, but rather like I own 12 cats, never shower and smoke bacon flavor cigars. It's real nasty every time I open the cupboards near the oven.
Extra-crispy bacon. Also I didn't bother trying to clean the cookie sheet even though I lined it with foil.  I recycled that poor thing.

Now for Autumn.

Autumn and I went bowling with Evan's brother (before he told me how bad I smelt!)  Autumn was in awe.
She was a great cheerleader.  She kept "ooo" ing and "ahhhh" ing and clapping when we hit the pins.

The night after the "bacon" incident I allowed someone else to cook for us again.  This time for free at Chick-fil-a's annual "cow appreciation" event.  I coaxed my father-in-law and 15 year old brother-in-law to come along...to the mall dressed like cows!  Cameron was SO embarrassed and almost didn't put his mask on (until he saw some cute girls in front of us who had masks on as well).  We enjoyed a lovely (free) chicken meal in the food court.
Not sure what it means for a "cow" to drink chocolate milk!

More summer fun has included collecting golf balls in the street from the near by golf course.  I made a Pintrest inspired race maze thing for Autumn.

I hate making my bed.  No Autumn is not wearing pants.  And yes that is my hot pink bra (colored bras are just way more fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment